Why should you learn how to relax fast? Because stress is more than just unpleasant. It's also dangerous. It manifests into physical symptoms. Many diseases are now known to be caused by or made worse by stress, but you can do something about it. Just try these relaxation techniques today, and use them whenever you feel that tension coming on.
1. Have a hot shower - The hot water relaxes your muscles, and the break from more stressful activities helps too. I like to try a visualization meditation while showering to help relax.
2. Play music - Experiment to see which music relaxes you the most effectively. Check out YouTube for meditation music, singing bowls, or your favorite song that puts you in a good mood.
3. Change of scenery - This really helps if the things stressing you out are in the room or associated with it. Why not get out for a little while?
4. Have a cup of tea - Chamomile seems to have a calming effect on the nerves, and hot drinks in general can help you relax. Check out the Resource Section for my favorite Tea Ritual!
5. Check your thoughts - If you can spot the stressors lurking just below the surface (hunger, worry, anxiety from a conversation), you can resolve them and feel more relaxed.
6. Laughter - Of course, you know from experience that this helps you relax, right? Put on your favorite comedy, search YouTube for stand up comedians, scroll TikTok for animal videos.
7. Breath deep - Just close your eyes and pay attention only to your breathing. Try this, breathe in for 5, hold for 3, release for 5, hold for 3. Five slow deep breaths like this is comparable to a mini-meditation.
8. Nature walk - Walking is one of the best relaxation techniques if you have at least ten minutes to spare. Nature is also a very soothing space, a great way to connect back, visualize yourself rooted in the earth.
9. Give someone a hug - As long as it's from somebody you don't mind hugging, this really can be very relaxing. Try your pet, your favorite person, a stuffed animal, a pillow, yourself.
10. Interrupt your routine - Anything that breaks you out of your habitual patterns can relieve stress. Try a new coffee shop, a new route to work or home, go for a walk in a new area, anything that feels outside the norm.
Over time you can change to be more relaxed. Of course, if the thought of the work involved in this just stresses you more, you might want to take it slow. In the meantime, the relaxation techniques above really aren't difficult, so why not try a few, and learn how to begin to manage your stress and find some relaxation.